CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 6, 2009

It's about time!

Okay so I know this looks bad. I grew up a preachers kid, went to a Christian College and have attended church 99% of Sundays my entire life. Granted none of those things gives me a free pass into heaven just so we're clear. In my 27 years on this planet I have read A LOT of books. I love to read and to my embarrassment, the Bible is not one I can claim to have read cover to cover. I started this year on a journey to read the Bible in 90 days and I felt really blessed and loved that my awesome Pastor decided to encourage me on my journey by being a reading buddy. Of course I knew my perfectionist "do it or lose it" personality would come into play sooner or later and well it's been 90 days and I'm just starting the New Testament. I have to say I'm proud and mad at myself at the same time. I'm proud that I haven't given up completely and yet frustrated that I could not force myself to keep up with the schedule. But here's the deal, I'm not giving up and I'm going to read the New Testament and if I stick with the schedule I should finish in 21 days. 3 weeks, I can do it and I want to do it. This reading is stirring my soul in ways that haven't been stirred in a while. God is trying to get to me and I fear that if I don't pay attention this time, it might be the last that he tries to reach me on a deeper level. I have to admit that many times I feel like a surface Christian, I love God, I feel so stinkin' blessed that he decided to plop me in this world where he did and I know that if I died today I would go to heaven but I'm definitely feeling like it's not enough. I feel like I'm letting my dad down in a big way that he wants to see me do something great and make him proud and I'm working at a gas station. Sorry bad analogy but it's what came to mind. So today is day one of a three week journey. I'm reading Matthew 1-16 today and I will be posting each day to keep me accountable. If you want to join me in my reading or if you just want your own guide for reading the Bible in 90 days go to http://90daybible.haventoday.org

3 comments:

The Lourceys said...

I think it's awesome that you're reading through the Bible! And you've made it through the hardest part already, the NT will be SO much faster and easier. :)

J H said...

Keep it up, chick! : ) Your Texas support team is rooting for you!
~ Jenn

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Don't give up... it's SO worth it. And I agree that blogging your thoughts from what you're reading will be a great week to encourage yourself during these next 3 weeks. Looking forward to hearing from you tomorrow... ;)